Thursday, February 17, 2011

A thought from a Hero...

My family was reared right here in the Shenandoah Valley. Both my parent's families can almost date their ancestors back to the original families who settled here in God's country. My extended family is vast. So much that when my father retired from the military and we moved back here I had to be careful of dating... you never knew if you were related.

When I was in sixth grade living in Oklahoma, where the wind really did sweep and the west really was won, I was instructed by my teacher to write a report on someones autobiography. At a mere 12 years of age I probably didn't even know what an autobiography was. It is entirely possible that we were learning the definition at the time, but my wandering mind and less than healthy body (that is a whole other story), didn't always allow me to hone in on my studies.

Indeed I chose to write about a hero from this country where heroes live everyday. Back then, all military personnel were heroes to me. This ideal came from watching my father through my child's eye. He was the epitome of military, and as decorated a soldier as they could come. So it was fitting that I chose to write my report on 5* General Dwight D. Eisenhower.

The book was fascinating. As I read the history of this man and how he encompassed everything a son, soldier, student, father, uncle, brother, friend, and hero should have. I don't know the exact story behind how I came to find out that this decorated American hero bore the same blood as our family, but I did learn that he indeed was a relative.

I remember being awestruck at the idea that I was related to such an American icon. How many heroes lived in my family? Remember I told you our extended family is dauntingly vast, and I already lived within the same walls as one hero.

Today, I researched quotes of the day. I'm always trying to find sayings that help me put everything into perspective. I live to understand perspective. And I came across this quote from the great 5* General Dwight D. Eisenhower:

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

Reading this quote brought up many emotions. The ones I felt while I wrote my report, the ones I felt when my father left for war, the ones I feel everyday. I'm not insinuating that I'm in battle...well, maybe a little. Isn't life a battle? Isn't the idea of love and who has control those things that we battle over the most?

So many years ago Dwight D. Eisenhower inspired me. Today, he inspired me again.

No comments: