Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I have a dream.... You fill in the blank.

"Power at it's best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at it's best is love correcting everything that stands against love." MLK Jr. 1967
This past weekend, my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary. Without a doubt in my mind I know that there were many a times that "everything that stands against love" tried to get in their way. My parents pushed through the barriers that tried to break through their life as a couple, as a family, and succeeded in many ways that couples do not today. If I have learned anything in the past year(s) of my life it could be that I too can have a dream of living for love the way my parents have for so many years.
"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase" ~ MLK Jr.
What a powerful statement. Too often in our lives we hold back what truths we see for ourselves because of the fear of the unknown. It is terrifying to think about moving forward with my life in the search for the things that I know I desire. I very plainly see what it is that I seek in my life, something that many people may find threatening. I would never impose my "wants" on to someone who is unwilling to accept them, and in the same breathe I will not let go of the dreams that I have for my life.... Yes, even if I don't see the "whole staircase". I owe it to myself (and AGB) to hold fast to the dreams that I have for our life together.
"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character" ~ MLK Jr.
This ideal I hold so dearly to my heart. I believe in the ability for human kind to see the value in all beings for who they are, and not the value of their appearance. I hope and dream that one day all children and adults will be accepting of those individuals that they see to be so different from themselves. I am blessed to have a nephew who has taught me this value in life. My dream is that my nephew, Matthew, will grow up in a society that will see his beautiful soul, his value to everything around him.
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" ~ MLK Jr.
As life's path takes twist and turns, we most definitely find those people along the way who are readily by our sides. I am thankful for each and ever person who has held my hand, dried my tears, hugged me tight, made me laugh, has lended their ear, and has helped me realize my worth. You know who you are.
"We must combine the toughness of the serpent and the softenss of the dove, a tough mind and a tender heart." ~ MLK Jr.
As I move forward on my journey to seek what it is that I know is right for me, I have in my heart a desire to do just this that MLK Jr. spoke about. I have changed in so many ways... I don't want to move forward with a hardened heart, blocked from the possibilities of life. My dream, if you will, is that I will have a sharper mind and a more giving heart. Learning is the capstone of our lives, and I have learned so many things.... I have learned about who I really am, the weakness of anger, the strenthen of hope, and the power of love. I will move forward with a clearer view of the true knowledge of life and how that knowledge can help me rebuild my life with love in it, having a "tender heart" along the way.

1 comment:

Beeps said...

I really like the way you reflected on MLK, Jr's words. What a therapeutic thing for yourself, and a wonderful way to honor a wonderful American hero!